Wednesday, January 29, 2014

3.1 Media Utilization

“Media utilization is the systematic use of resources for learning” (Seels & Richey, 1994, p. 46).

First Day Of Kindergarten Supplies
Edtech 506 - Week 4 Project

This artifact is a static image. The purpose of this image is to teach parents what supplies should be sent with their child on the first day of school. This static media utilizes the concept of CARP to reinforce learning. CARP refers to the practice of considering contrast, alignment, repetition, and proximity in your graphics.

This artifact has been very useful for me. Last year, I emailed this and a few other images to the parents a couple days before open house. For that email, I specifically chose static media because I wanted to create printed versions for parents who did not have email access. On the night of the open house, I learned that only a few parents did not get that email. Because I used this and other images to teach the parents a few basics about the classroom, I did not spend most of the night going over general information. I was able to answer and address the parents' questions and concerns. The conversations that day were much more in depth and interactive than  previous open houses.