Monday, February 10, 2014

Edtech 506 - Week 4 Project

Edtech 506 - Week 4 Project

First Day of Kindergarten Supplies


The intended audience of this graphic is the parents of kindergarten children. The users will all be adults with at least a basic knowledge of computer skills. The users may or may not have had children in kindergarten in the past, but none of the users have had any children in my kindergarten class.

The concept of CARP is to consider contrast, alignment, repetition, and proximity in your graphics.
Contrastestablishing differences between elements in a visual” (Lohr, 2008 p.201)
I considered contrast when I used a darker background when compared with the light backgrounds of the pieces of text.
Alignment “when you line things up along an edge or some type of imaginary line or path” (Lohr, 2008 p.201)
I used the principle of alignment my aligning all of my text left aligned. Also, I lined up each set of text along two vertical lines. I tried to also align the elements horizontally, but it did not look as good. The elements seemed too close together and cluttered.
Repetition “you take some element of a visual and use it again” (Lohr, 2008 p.203)
I thought about repetition when I used the same font throughout the graphic. Also each text box is tattered and lined. I also used yellow to highlight each of the topics headings.
Proximity “moving visual elements close together or far apart” (Lohr, 2008 p.203)
When thinking of proximity, I grouped the items by type and put the text directly next to, or touching, the items. I also made sure there was enough space between groups that the groups did not overflow into each other.

I had my wife look at this graphic also. She said she first noticed the kid in the middle and the title. She picked up that the highlighted texts were the most important. She also said she liked how well organized the graphic looked overall and how things were spaced out.

Her observations were my intention. I will keep the graphic as is.