Wednesday, January 29, 2014

1.2 Message Design

“Message design involves planning for the manipulation of the physical form of the message” (Seels & Richey, 1994, p. 31).

Introduction to Mr. Guthrie's Classroom
Edtech 506 - Unit of Instruction

This artifact is a unit of instruction. Its intended audience is parents of new kindergarteners. The instruction focuses on what parents need to know for the school year. Included in this are four basic groups of images sorted into a main page, a supplies page, a news page, and a snacks page. There is also a review page which is reserved for future use for attaining feedback from the learners. I used various methods of message design to create the different graphics within the unit.
The News Graphic was created using the concepts of color, depth, space, and selection to help the learner viewer sort the information. Color is created by the interactions of white light upon an object (Lohr, 2007, p.264). Depth, according to Lohr, refers to scale, dimension, and texture (2007, p.270). Selection is the cognitive process of attending to a particular element (visual or auditory) (Lohr, 2007, p.100).
The Snacks Graphic was created the graphic using a 4:3 ratio because that format is the easiest to read on a computer screen (Lohr, 2007, p.255). For the easiest reading, I ensured the bulk of the text was not in all caps (Lohr, 2007, p.242), the body text was left aligned (Lohr, 2007, p.238), and I used a sans serif style of font for easier web viewing (Lohr, 2007, p.221). I also shortened the line lengths to reduce strain and increase readability (Lohr, 2007, p.238).
For the Supplies Graphic, I used the concept of CARP. The concept of CARP is to consider contrast, alignment, repetition, and proximity in your graphics. I considered contrast when I used a darker background when compared with the light backgrounds of the pieces of text. I used the principle of alignment my aligning all of my text left aligned. Also, I lined up each set of text along two vertical lines. I thought about repetition when I used the same font throughout the graphic. Also each text box is tattered and lined. I also used yellow to highlight each of the topics headings. When thinking of proximity, I grouped the items by type and put the text directly next to, or touching, the items. I also made sure there was enough space between groups that the groups did not overflow into each other.

Through this artifact, I learned how to better use graphics in assignments, homework, and newsletters for my classroom. When I use graphics now, I am more intentional. I make sure the graphic adds to the learning and conforms to these and other principles of graphics design. This has improved the quality and efficacy of my instruction and communications.